Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Enos and Jacob


I’ve been meeting with the LDS missionaries for months now.  We took a 4-6 week break during the holidays when schedules just got too crazy.  But, now we’ve been meeting again and I really enjoy the ladies and the relationship I have with them.  One of the bonuses of inviting the sisters come to my home and teach me lessons is they always invite one of the neighbors to come with them.  Perhaps for accountability, perhaps for companionship and help.  I’m not sure.  Whatever the reason, it works to my advantage because 1) I might meet one of my neighbors whom I haven’t met before 2) now I get to witness to three LDS people instead of just two 3) the possibility of me building a lasting relationship with one of my neighbors is much greater than building a lasting relationship with a missionary because my neighbor is here to stay and not moving on in 18 months.

I had agreed to continue to read the Book of Mormon for each weekly lesson.  I’m not giving any ground by reading the BOM.  I’ve completed 1 Nephi, 2 Nephi is next except that 2 Nephi is incredibly long and apparently, very boring for some.  So, we agreed I would read Enos, equivalent in length to the book of Jude.  Perfect.  I said I would read the BOM but told them my priority is to complete my Bible reading first and I don’t have much time to commit to reading the BOM but will do a little bit.  

Our meeting last week was spent discussing the book of Enos.  They asked me what questions I had and oh, I had questions.  The subject of Enos wrestling with God was brought up.  In discussing verse 2, one of the missionaries said “I love the picture that he wrestles with God.  I mean, he didn’t really wrestle with God--that would be silly.”  I was a bit surprised because I’m so familiar with the story of Jacob wrestling with God and it is cross referenced in the BOM to Genesis 32:24.  When I brought up this fact they were shocked.  They had never heard of the story of Jacob wrestling with God.  So, we opened up our Bibles and read the entire passage.  It lead to other discussions of stories in the Bible and how deep and magnificent and perfect they are.  My neighbor had heard of the story of Jacob (she’s a little older and wiser than the 20-something missionaries).

After the lesson with the missionaries I received this text from my neighbor:



So, tonight is our first study!  We only committed to once a month as both of our schedules are packed.  But it’s something, and it’s motivated me to once again really dive into my Bible and study, not just read.  I’m excited about what might happen through this opportunity.

And all because I invited the missionaries in.  To God be the Glory!!

3 comments:

  1. Praise God Ann. Thanks so much for sharing this update. I will be praying the Holy Spirit moves in your friend. I think you have found a person of peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about a person of peace! Thanks for jogging my memory. Miss that class and the people in it . . . .

      Delete
  2. Where's the "Like" button for Tammy's comment and your reply? :) Keep sharing your love of Christ with these gals. Excited to see how God will grow these seeds that you are planting!

    ReplyDelete